My name is Jordan and I am a senior at George Washington University. I study journalism and have special interest in production and video work. However, I am also a server at a local restaurant...well, because I love food. This is a cyber-celebration of a love for dining and sometimes w(h)ining.

Monday 24 October 2011

Wish List

As a perfect compliment to last week, this week my boyfriend's parents are in town. Which means...YES, more fabulous food. We started today off right by going to BlackSalt, a place known for its extensive fish menu. Now, I would be more specific about the menu, but my ordering went a little something like this: "bring me anything on the menu that isn't that fishy." I realize now that they probably judged me a lot for coming there in the first place, but listen, it didn't matter - the food was fantastic. I had one of the specials of the night, something called a tile fish prepared with white sweet potato puree, greens with bacon, and roasted mushrooms. Twas perfection.

(Side note: If you've read previous blog posts, you know my first experience with oysters did not go as planned. BUT, I tried oysters for the second time. This time was a great success.)

But this got me thinking. I see myself as a person who has tried and knows a lot of restaurants in DC, but here was a place completely unknown that is now easily a new favorite. Which is why (after a little research) I have compiled a restaurant wish list, all the places I hope to go in the upcoming months as I venture out in the city (...and maybe put on a few winter pounds?)

2AMYS for fantastic pizza
Citronelle to pretend I'm fancy enough for french food Obama eats
Volt for Top Chef alum Brian Voltaggio chem project-like food creations
Graffiato...while we're on the Top Chef theme, I haven't heard rave reviews but I like Chef Mike Isabella so I want to give it a try
Minibar just to say I did
CityZen - don't know much about this place but a server I work with swears by it and I trust his judgement
El Centro in search of ONE (ONE PEOPLE) solid Mexican food place in DC. I get that we're not by the border but come onnnn.
KOMI well, because it's number one on everyone's best lists

That's all I've got for now. What about you guys? Any suggestions?

4 comments:

  1. "Bring me anything on the menu that isn't that fishy" - that is hilarious as it is an ultimate seafood restaurant!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love fish, so it looks like I will have to try BlackSalt. Looks like there are some great restaurants on your list. You might also want to check out places in Old Town Alexandria- it is a fun area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank goodness the oysters times 2 went well :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your order at BlackSalt sounds soo delicious! A great restaurant I recently discovered is Proof in Chinatown. They're known for their wine selection but the food is also excellent.

    ReplyDelete