My name is Jordan and I am a senior at George Washington University. I study journalism and have special interest in production and video work. However, I am also a server at a local restaurant...well, because I love food. This is a cyber-celebration of a love for dining and sometimes w(h)ining.

Monday 7 November 2011

Los Anjealous

Okay, I'm about to get a little annoying and rep my city for a second, so bear with me.

I am DC's biggest fan - whenever someone says there is a lack of culture, good food, or fun places to go here I always put them right in their place. DC is great and I have found many restaurants in the city that I would put on par with amazing restaurants around the world. BUT let's face it, while this has been improving in the last couple of years, DC has never been known for its food. And with Thanksgiving right around the corner, my mouth is beginning to salivate thinking about the food waiting for me in LA.

A couple weeks ago I shared my wish list for restaurants I need to go to in the District. Well this week, I need to tell you a few of my favorite places in LA (just in case you're ever lucky enough to eat..I mean go there).

1. ANY AND ALL MEXICAN FOOD
Goodness, I can't stress this enough. If it's not greasy, cheesy, and burns my mouth off, I want none of it. I've looked all over DC and nothing comes close to the Mexican food in LA...which is understandable because of geographical advantages. In LA, a good rule of thumb for Mexican is the sketchier the place looks, all the better the food. Tacos Por Favor in Santa Monica certainly passes this test. Just look at it, you know it's got to be amazing.


2. Father's Office
I all for Bobby's Burger Palace and Good Stuff, but this is a burger so good the restaurant doesn't even let you alter it. Seriously, not even a little. There are even signs that tell you not to ask for ketchup. But just trust me on this one, you wouldn't want to mess with it. They won't share their recipe, but there's definitely caramelized onions, gorgonzola cheese (maybe?), arugula, and a whole lot of awesome.


3. Bay Cities.
Okay this place makes me want to be home right &(*^%% now. Best italian sandwiches I know. Fresh baked bread and ingredients. A straight forward sandwich that will never disappoint. I always order mine online, get it to go, and go take it to eat on the beach.


4. Gjelina
This is one of my favorite restaurants in LA. Beautiful decor and outdoor patio, great vibe, and fantastic food. It also totally embodies the funky feeling of Abbot Kinney Blvd in Venice so it's always an experience too. I would love to pick a few things from the menu to share with you, but I can't I love it all. It's such a creative menu, using tons of different ingredients. Check it.


5. Yabu
One of my other favorite parts of LA is the vibrant Japanese community - Yabu totally reflects that. I go there for their Zaru, which is cold noodles (soba or udon) served with cold dipping sauce. I also totally miss the Japanese markets in LA like Mitsuwa and Nijiya. I will definitely go to one of these to stock up on umeboshi (pickled sour plum) before I come back to DC.



Considering I only have five days in LA, one day taken up for Thanksgiving, and another taken for recovery time from Thanksgiving eating, I'm going to stop there. Don't want to tempt myself with all the possibilities. But YUM. Cannot wait.

4 comments:

  1. I always make a list of places to go when I am home too. Growing up in Arizona, I feel your pain about Mexican food!! When my parents pick me up from the airport we always go and get takeout from my favorite Mexican food place. The hole in the wall places are by far my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just in LA last weekend for halloween! I had the most amazing time and ate at Gjelina.. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss LA so much so much so much. I had such a hard time with Father's office. Too much crazy. Two things this city misses: Mexican (agreed) and good, cheap, delicious sushi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right, LA has the best mexican food. I wish we had taco trucks here in DC. Also, try toast for brunch next time you go its great!

    ReplyDelete